Everything You Need to Know to Achieve Success!
Dear Success Seeker,
The fact that you are reading this newsletter clearly indicates that you are motivated to improve your results. So why don't we get right to the bottom line?
I have been heavily engaged in business and personal development for over 25 years. For the last 20 years my full-time business has been coaching self-employed business people and investors to achieve their goals faster while simultaneously improving the quality of their lives. I've attended hundreds of workshops and seminars, read over a thousand books and paid world-class coaches a small fortune to coach me.
All of this has helped me however I honestly feel that I could have achieved far more than I have in far less time if I had just boldly and diligently practiced four simple steps. Try this formula for yourself and see what happens.
This may sound overly simplistic, but I promise you that it is not. Everything you want really is available to you if you just follow these four steps!
- Decide on something you want. Anything that you have a strong desire to do, be or have.
- Identify a single step that will move you towards this goal. It doesn't matter how big or small the step is as long as: (a) It is within your control; and (b) you are clear that it will unquestionably move you towards what you want.
- Do it! Take action; follow through; get the rubber on the road. It doesn't matter if things don't go as planned. Just make your best effort.
- Repeat Steps 1 - 3 above!
If you insist on making things more complicated the following principles will enhance your results. Just make sure that you don't use them as a reason to avoid taking action.
Important: Once you promise yourself that you're going to do something, you absolutely must follow through with it. If you don't, you hurt yourself in two ways. First, you criticize yourself and label yourself as a failure. This damages your self-confidence and undermines your ability to achieve future success. Second, lack of action completely kills momentum which makes it harder for you to get moving again in the future.
- Create a written long-term vision. You can't do everything but you absolutely can accomplish almost anything that is important to you. Where will you put your resources and attention? Being clear about your vision makes it easy to choose which projects to work on first. Even so, don't waste a lot of time working on a vision. You already have a general sense of the direction you want to go and that is enough to get you into action.
- Prioritize step two to ensure the single step you is highly effective. Make a brainstorm list of possible actions that will advance you towards your goal, rate the potential impact of each one and then get to work on those that will truly make the biggest difference in your progress.
- Get out of your comfort zone. Our tendency is to avoid doing things that are new, awkward or uncomfortable. Instead we do things that are familiar and easy. The painful truth is that in order to achieve a new level of success you must get outside your comfort zone. Boldly taking forward-moving steps that scare you is the single fastest way to accelerate your progress.
- Minimize preparation and education. It is appealing to spend your time preparing, doing strategic planning, etc. Stop it! Also avoid reading, taking courses, attending seminars, watching videos, listening to CDs, doing affirmations, making vision boards, invoking the Law of Attraction etc. While these things are not inherently bad, success-oriented under-achievers use them as distractions to feel good about themselves while they fail to take productive action. In almost all cases you will learn more in the world of hard knocks than you ever will in courses and education. Just get out there and do it!
- Put a personal accountability mechanism in place. Most people find it challenging to follow through on their commitments to themselves. It helps to put in place a mechanism or find a third-party to hold you accountable. This vastly increases the chances you will do what you said you will.
So there you go. Everything you need to know to succeed and more! Of course our business exists to ensure that our clients have the tools and support they need to make these things happen. But with or without outside support, these are the crucial steps that will lead you to success.
Andrew Barber-Starkey, Master Certified Coach
Founder and President, ProCoach Success System
ARRANGE FOR ANDREW TO SPEAK TO YOUR GROUP
Do you know of a group of 12 or more self-employed people or entrepreneurs in BC or Alberta who would be interested in having Andrew speak at a their team meeting, conference or networking event? If so, please contact our office by email or phone.
To view back issues of The ProCoach Connection, click here
Andrew Barber-Starkey is a Master Certified Coach residing in Vancouver, Canada. His coaching program, the ProCoach Success System, is designed for entrepreneurs, small-business owners, self-employed and commissioned sales people who want to double their income while simultaneously doubling their time off within 3 years.
Please forward this e-newsletter to your friends and colleagues. Your referrals enable us to grow and serve more people.