The Power of Action
Dear Success Seeker,
In 20 years of coaching self-employed entrepreneurs and independent business people, I have noticed that there is one characteristic that is always present in those who become highly successful - and almost always absent in those who fail. It is a simple thing really; it is called taking action!
The fact is that most people spend far too much time thinking about what they want, making plans and preparing to act and not nearly enough time in motion. I've found it is far more effective to take action, even when you don't know what you're doing, than it is to spend your time strategizing and preparing.
Getting yourself into action has a tremendous positive impact on your success at multiple levels. Here are five reasons why:
1) Feedback is essential for progress: Imagine you are learning to be a boxer but have never been in the ring with a competitor. You could spend months building your strength, pounding on a boxing bag, sparring with a partner and watching videos to learn strategy and technique. But the first time you step into the ring with an experienced boxer, you will almost certainly have a painful and humiliating awakening. Why? Because real world experience gives you something the artificial world can never give you. Feedback! When you are in the ring, the punches are real and they hurt. You learn the hard way what works and what doesn't and, over time, you become a skilled boxer.
The same is true in every area of life. Every action you take gives you real world feedback. If it works, you can use it again. If it fails you get to adjust your strategy and hone your skills.
2) The Law of Momentum: The second benefit of taking action is that it creates momentum. Do you remember Newton's Law of Inertia? It states that an object at rest is predisposed to stay at rest while an object in motion tends to remain in motion. Taking action builds momentum. Even if your actions fail to generate the results you want, it is far easier for you to redirect your existing momentum in a new and more effective direction than it is to get yourself started from a dead stop.
3) The Butterfly Effect: Have you heard of the Butterfly Effect? It explains how small changes in one area of a system can have a potentially large impact on distant and seemingly unrelated factors. The theory suggests that a butterfly flapping its wings in Asia could create a chain reaction that influences the weather in North America. The same is true for your life. When you take action you can never tell what the final outcome will be but something will happen. For example, one small action today might teach you a crucial lesson that earns you millions in the future.
But wait. What happens when a butterfly in Asia thinks about flapping its wings or diligently studies wing flapping? You're right - absolutely nothing. Taking action is the one catalyst that changes everything!
4) The Law of Attraction: Another benefit of taking action is that it causes the Law of Attraction to work in your favour. When you are a "make it happen" person you catch the attention of other serious players. Your commitment, energy and passion will make you attractive and people will bring opportunities to you. As you learn how to capitalize on these opportunities (through feedback from failures and successes, of course) your momentum and success will increase. When you are in action you are far more likely to be seen and noticed.
5) The Transformation Factor: Lastly, the experience you gain from taking action affects every aspect of who you are. It impacts and transforms you at a cellular level. Every success adds to your confidence and increases your self image. Every failure and setback has the potential to make you stronger and more resilient.
In the big picture it is not so much what you do but who you become as a result of the actions you take that creates your ultimate success. Over time you become a veteran who others trust. At the same time you come to peace with your own strengths and limitations. Thus the transformational impact of taking action leads to both inner and outer success.
To summarize, all the planning in the world can never replace the experience of learning by trial and error. Regardless of how much action you are taking now, step things up to the next level. It will truly change your life.
Andrew Barber-Starkey, Master Certified Coach
Founder and President, ProCoach Success System
Would you like to receive private Business Coaching from Andrew?
Email Pam@ProCoachSystem.com or call 604-983-8041 for details
To view back issues of The ProCoach Connection, click here
Andrew Barber-Starkey is a Master Certified Coach residing in Vancouver, Canada. His coaching program, the ProCoach Success System, is designed for entrepreneurs, small-business owners, self-employed and commissioned sales people who want to double their income while simultaneously doubling their time off within 3 years.
Please forward this e-newsletter to your friends and colleagues. Your referrals enable us to grow and serve more people.